AALT CLBC Scholarship
Sponsored by The California Legislative Black Caucus
The African-American Leaders for Tomorrow (AALT) Program is a four-day long residential summer program that is held on the campus of California State University Dominquez Hills (CSUDH). Ninety students are hand selected to receive leadership training and attend workshops on topics such as college experience, career development and civic engagement. Students will be housed on the campus of CSUDH. Meals, program materials, as well as transportation during the conference will be provided at no cost to the participants. For students living outside of Los Angeles County, transportation to the conference will also be provided.
- A student, who is currently a sophomore or junior with a 2.5 or higher GPA, and is in good academic standing as of January 1, 2017.
- Demonstration of leadership potential (i.e. involvement in student government, community leadership or similar activities).
- Current high school transcript.
- Two letters of recommendation. One letter must be from a school official and one from a community member who is not related to you.
- Essay (2 required).
- All agreements (please see website).
- March 15, 2017 - Applications will be available.
- May 15, 2017 - Application deadline.
- May 16 – 31, 2017 - Review and Selection Process.
- June 2, 2017 - Students will be notified.
- July 26 – 29, 2017 - The conference will be held on the campus of CSUDH.
Students will need spending money for snacks, souvenirs, etc.
Travel arrangements will be made for students living outside of Los Angeles County. Conference participants will stay in campus housing and be supervised at all times.
For more information, please contact:
Requirements for registration:
- All applications and appropriate documents must be completed and uploaded to the CLBC website OR mailed to the CLBC office. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Complete the online registration form. (Registration Form)
- 2 Essays. (See Below)
- Current high school transcript.
- Two letters of recommendation: one letter must be from a school official and one from a community member who is not related to you.
- Signed “Code of Conduct,” “Medical Permission” and “Photo Release” Agreements. If uploading to the system, please print, and scan before uploading.
- Photo of applicant.
- If mailing application, please send to:
California Legislative Black Caucus
Attention: CLBC Consultant
1020 N Street, Suite 158
Sacramento, CA 95814
All documents and applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, May 15, 2017.
Students selected to participate will be notified on Friday, June 2, 2017.
Review essay requirements below before submitting registration form.
- Each essay must be typewritten on a separate page. Include your full name at the top of each page.
- Make sure your response pertains to the questions asked.
- Each response must be 300 to 500 words.
Essay One: Leadership
Discuss your leadership ability and potential. Include an explanation of why you feel you are qualified to participate in the conference. Also, discuss your expectations of how this conference will enhance your leadership ability and potential as well as support you in reaching your educational goals.
Essay Two: Personal Statement
Write a descriptive piece about goals, achievements, or obstacles you have encountered in your academic life. Explain why attending college is important to you. You can also write about your preferred colleges, area of study you would like to focus on or even about your career aspirations.
Students and Parents/Guardians are REQUIRED to read, understand and agree by signing and returning all three documents by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, May 15, 2017.
- Code of Conduct
- Medical Permission
- Photo Release